Recently, our cold winter weather turned into beautiful spring-like days for a brief period. The sun was shining bright and the temperatures rose into the 70s. It felt so wonderful to strip off all the winter layers and enjoy the days outside. It felt so much like spring that I wanted to uncover the grill and cook up some juicy delicious burgers.
Now, these aren’t your typical burger. No, these are a stacked, bunless, burger with a side dipping sauce that you eat with a fork and knife. These burgers are juicy and packed full of flavor. There is some heat from the jalapeno, saltyness from the teriyaki, and the right amount of sweetness from the pineapple. To take the perfect bite, make sure you load your fork with each layer of the burger and dip into the delicious teriyaki sauce. It is the perfect combination of salty sweet and you will not be disappointed. These are one of my kids favorite burgers (I omit the jalapeno as my kids are sensitive to spicy foods and they are just as delicious without it which is why I have noted in the recipe below that the jalapeno is optional). My family loves all kinds of burgers but this one is so delicious, healthier, and you certainly don’t miss the bun. And you don’t need to wait for warm weather either. If you have a grill pan or indoor grill, you can enjoy these anytime.
I got this recipe from my The Frugal Paleo Cookbook by Ciarra Hannah. This cookbook has a lot of great recipes for main meals, sides, and pantry items but does miss out, however, on dessert recipes. Overall, it’s a great little cookbook that I use time and time again.
If you ever get that craving for a good juicy burger, please give this one a try. It is sure to please.
Stacked Teryaki Burgers
(Paleo, Mediterranean, )
- 1 lb grass-fed ground beef
- 1 Tbs finely diced jalapeno (optional)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 Tbs chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 4 slices fresh pineapple
- 4 slices red onion
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos
- 1 Tbs rice wine vinegar or coconut vinegar
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Mix by hand in a large bowl the beef, jalapeno (if using), garlic, cilantro, salt, sesame seeds, and onion powder. Divide and shape into 4 patties.
- Grill burgers to desired doneness along with the pineapple and red onion slices.
- While burgers are grilling, make up the dipping sauce by whisking together the coconut aminos, vinegar, and honey. Pour into individual sized dipping bowls.
- Create burger stacks by starting with pineapple as base, then onion, and finally the burger on top and serve with dipping sauce. Make sure you get a piece of each layer and dip into sauce for the perfect bite. Enjoy!