My favorite meal time is probably breakfast. I love that you can really get away with eating just about anything. It can be savory or sweet or somewhere in-between and it’s all acceptable for breakfast. I mean you can eat cake with a side of ham if you want and that’s perfectly fine. How can you not love that! The no restrictions and unlimited potential of breakfast is so appealing to me, maybe it’s because I have an enormous sweet tooth and can get away with eating chocolate first thing in the morning, but really the endless options and choices makes this my favorite meal time.
Even though I’m only limited by my own creativity, I do still need to make these breakfast choices healthier to fit into my diet plan. So when I came across a recipe for Chocolate Waffles that are Paleo, it was an absolute must try for me. This recipe comes from the website Living Healthy with Chocolate and is the best recipe I’ve found and tried so far for chocolate waffles. These waffles have such a deliciously rich chocolate flavor that you question if they really are healthy. My kids love them and get so excited when they hear that they are having chocolate for breakfast. They have no idea that they are actually eating something good for them.
The chocolate waffles can be a bit intense on their own, so pairing them with some fruit like strawberries or bananas goes very nicely. Eat them with or without pure maple syrup or you can even try a little honey or melted chocolate drizzled on top. Like I mentioned earlier, your options are endless with breakfast.
My family loves when I make these and since they have such a rich taste I don’t make them very often so that they are a special treat when I do. These are perfect for special occasions like Valentine’s Day with heart-shaped fruit or make up a batch when you get that undeniable craving to eat something chocolatey.
- 3/4 cup + 3 Tbs almond flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tbs cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tbs coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup +1 Tbs melted coconut oil or ghee
- 1 Tbs pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat waffle iron and brush or spray with coconut oil if needed.
- Wisk almond flour, tapioca, cocoa, baking powder, and salt until blended.
- Mix well the egg, sugar, milk, melted coconut oil or ghee, vanilla, and vinegar.
- Add flour mixture into wet ingredients and stir to combine.
- Pour batter into waffle iron and cook for 3 minutes or until done to your liking. (Please note that cooking times can vary by manufacturer, please refer to your maker’s instructions for more accurate cooking time)
- Serve with your favorite toppings: strawberries, bananas, pure maple syrup, honey, melted chocolate, whipped coconut, etc.
2 thoughts on “Chocolate Waffles (Paleo, Mediterranean)”